Subject: Does i686-w64-mingw32-gcc now use -mno-cygwin by default?
From: Don Kuenz via Cygwin <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 16:25:55 -0600
List-Id: General Cygwin discussions and problem reports <cygwin.cygwin.com>

Greetings,

Back in the day i686-pc-mingw32-gcc used the -mno-cygwin flag to break
the implicit link to cygwin1.dll. It enabled developers to release a
standalone binary. In other words, cygwin1.dll did not have to be
installed on the user's PC in order for a standalone binary to run.

i686-pc-mingw32-gcc is no longer available. And i686-w64-mingw32-gcc now
seems to create standalone binaries by default. The binaries run on a
target PC without cygwin1.dll installed.

Can someone confirm i686-w64-mingw32-gcc in its default mode now creates
standalone binaries?

Thank you in advance.

Danke,

-- 
Don, KB7RPU, https://www.qsl.net/kb7rpu
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than 
light;
She set out one day In a relative way And returned on the previous 
night.

-- 
Don Kuenz
307 266 3327 x1

-- 
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:     https://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple