Subject: Re: New to cygwin list. How to request or assist with a package update?
From: Brian Inglis <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 15:48:35 -0700
List-Id: General Cygwin discussions and problem reports <cygwin.cygwin.com>

On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 13:03:27 -0500, Mark Murawski wrote:
> What would the best way to go about getting an updated build of a 
> specific package?
> Right now I'm particularly interested in getting the latest version of 
> terminator.

Post with subject e.g. "python terminator upgrade Attn: maintainer" and ask for 
an upgrade.
In general, specific subject lines will get more readers, as those who package, 
support, or develop with relevant interests may be attracted.

Given that the release is over five years old, it is possible that the 
maintainer no longer uses Cygwin and/or terminator.

Looking at the latest release, it looks like at least one Python package psutil 
would need customized to build on Cygwin with python OS info, and a few may need 
upgraded, from python2 to 3 and/or GTK 2 to 3, by a Python module developer who 
understands the Python OS and Gnome interfaces:

	https://github.com/gnome-terminator/terminator/blob/master/INSTALL.md

although from what I can see, it may be less effort to eliminate psutil from 
terminator than to port psutil to Cygwin: requiring that module seems overkill 
for a terminal emulator.

-- 
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis			Calgary, Alberta, Canada

La perfection est atteinte			Perfection is achieved
non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter	not when there is no more to add
mais lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à retirer	but when there is no more to cut
			-- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

-- 
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:     https://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple