Subject: Cygwin 32 procps-ng procps values incorrect
From: Brian Inglis <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 11:05:10 -0600
List-Id: General Cygwin discussions and problem reports <cygwin.cygwin.com>

Hi Achim,

Running builds and bumping them in priority looks okay on current 
procps-ng procps under current Cygwin 64, sanitized as in attached which 
was limited to COLUMNS=120, also spaces squished and output truncated 
for examples below:

F S UID     PID  PPID C PRI  NI ADDR SZ WCHAN STIME TTY      TIME CMD
0 S $USER 11102 11101 0  80   0 -   137 -     Sep19 pty0 00:00:33 -bash
0 S $USER  5891 11102 0  80   0 -   123 -     08:23 pty0 00:00:00  /_
...
0 S $USER 13448 12388 0  72  -8 -    92 -     08:37 pty0 00:00:24  |
0 S $USER 53596 13448 5  72  -8 -    91 -     10:14 pty0 00:00:00  |
...

but current procps-ng procps under current Cygwin 32 with the equivalent 
process priority bumps gives apparently incorrect %Cpu, PRIority, NIce, 
and STIME values:

F S UID     PID  PPID C PRI  NI ADDR SZ WCHAN STIME TTY      TIME CMD
0 S $USER  1975  1974 0 2278  0 -   103 -     Sep14 pty0 00:00:01 -bash
0 S $USER  5266  1975 0 778   0 -   105 -     Sep14 pty0 00:00:00  /_
...
0 S $USER 12724 11665 0 23622 0 -    81 -     Sep14 pty0 00:00:03  |
0 S $USER 40148 12724 0  60   0 -    75 -     Sep14 pty0 00:00:00  |
...

as the sessions are running identical workloads, and the latter was 
started at earliest yesterday, the builds today.
I have never managed to catch %Cpu != 0 even though I see that 
frequently during builds under Cygwin 64.

Also procps -l without -f does not right align PID and PPID columns 
correctly on either arch, or I would have used that instead.

Could you please have a look at this if you get some free time.

-- 
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

This email may be disturbing to some readers as it contains
too much technical detail. Reader discretion is advised.
[Data in binary units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]

-- 
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:     https://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple