Subject: Re: Bug: Emojis (😁) are replaced by unicode replacement character (�) on Windows Terminal
From: Brian Inglis <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 11:41:13 -0600
List-Id: General Cygwin discussions and problem reports <cygwin.cygwin.com>

On 2021-08-25 07:50, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Am 25.08.2021 um 13:48 schrieb Rafael Kuhn via Cygwin:
>> Using the shell that comes embedded with 'Git for windows' (that includes
>> Cygwin) and opening it in Windows Terminal, there's a bug that 
>> prevents me
>> from pasting types of unicode characters like emojis in the terminal.
>>
>> I've opened a ticket in the git-for-windows repo and after testing 
>> over the
>> problem they concluded it was Cygwin's problem and told me to report it
>> here (ticket link below).
>> https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/3281
>>
>> The complete description of the problem from people that understand it 
>> more
>> than I actually do is in the ticket.
>>
>> I'm including cygcheck.out like your guide suggests.
>> Thank you for your time, cheers.
>>
> I doubt this is a cygwin issue. Do any emojis run in that environment? 
> Does it work in the "Git Bash" terminal? Why would you run git bash in 
> Windows Terminal?

Works Just Fine For Me under mintty, configured with charset encoding 
UTF-8 (for Windows cmd use chcp 65001 IIRC), font DejaVu Sans Mono 
(Cygwin package dejavu-fonts).

Depending on your font selection, you may have to add fallbacks, using 
Windows font linking (below); using e.g. GNU Unifont (Cygwin package 
unifont-fonts), Unicode BMP Fallback SIL font, and Apple's Unicode Last 
Resort font; see:

	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallback_font

	https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/globalization/input/font-technology#font-linking

MS has added Seguiemj.ttf "Segoe UI Emoji" containing some recent emojis 
to recent Windows.

NOTE: Cygwin font installation only makes it available to Cygwin console 
graphics (e.g. gnuplot, R) and GUI apps using libfontconfig, it does not 
make it available to Windows apps, you have to install the OTF/TTF files 
manually from Explorer as usual.

-- 
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

This email may be disturbing to some readers as it contains
too much technical detail. Reader discretion is advised.
[Data in binary units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]

-- 
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:     https://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple