Subject: Re: Package Requests: Update: bash-completion, coreutils - New: linux-manpages
From: Brian Inglis <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 21:19:49 -0600
List-Id: General Cygwin discussions and problem reports <cygwin.cygwin.com>

On 2021-08-13 14:48, Richard Beels via Cygwin wrote:
> At 8/13/2021 at 01:11, Shakespearean monkeys danced on Brian Inglis's 
> keyboard and said:
>>  I suggested linux-manpages a while back, as it comes from the same 
>> source as posix-manpages, and I install it myself, but did not get 
>> voted to package, due to duplication with conflicting priorities and 
>> no easy way to resolve under existing paths.

> Huh...  they go to /usr/local by default (easily changeable with `make 
> prefix=...`), which is pretty bare to begin with and with the fact that 
> they don't package hardly anything in man1, the conflict potential goes 
> down even further.  Ah well, I guess I just keep making it manually from 
> a cloned repo.

That's the issue - Cygwin supports project man pages installed under FHS 
locations like /usr/share/man/ where there would be "duplication", not 
installing in non-standard locations under /usr/local/{share/,}man/ nor 
under /usr/share/man/linux/ (man -m linux)!

>>  I could probably look at bash-completion if I can get around to bash, 
>> as I would worry about dependencies, fixes, and tweaks. There are big 
>> challenges in bash and coreutils being years out of date as parts of 
>> those need customized for Cygwin, and the customization patches are 
>> likely to have issues, or even need redesign, if there have been major 
>> changes.

> bash-completion is a separate/disconnected project (now located at 
> https://github.com/scop/bash-completion), it doesn't align its releases 
> with bash itself.  bash-completion 2.7-2.10 require bash 4.1+, 2.11 
> bumped that to 4.2.  Since we're at 4.4, I don't think that's a 
> showstopper (BICBW).

BYCBC|BYCBR

> And thanks again for the findutils update.  4.7 gave us comma-delimited 
> -type/-xtype specs, so a "( -type p -o -type s )" (shown non-quoted for 
> sanity's sake) becomes "-type p,s".  :thumbsup:

-- 
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

This email may be disturbing to some readers as it contains
too much technical detail. Reader discretion is advised.
[Data in binary units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]

-- 
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:     https://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple