Subject: Re: Package Requests: Update: bash-completion, coreutils - New: linux-manpages
From: Brian Inglis <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 23:11:48 -0600
List-Id: General Cygwin discussions and problem reports <cygwin.cygwin.com>

On 2021-08-12 22:20, Richard Beels via Cygwin wrote:
> Findutils _was_ on this list but then I saw it come over the transom 
> (yeay Brian! :-), which reminded me I never actually wrote about it.  
> Procrastination ekes a minor victory...  :)
> 
> bash-completion and coreutils are both currently several releases/years 
> behind.
> 
> Also, I'll throw in an oddball request to save a bucket of headers - 
> linux manpages.  I see the posix ones are packaged for the cyg, it would 
> be nice to also get the linux manpages packaged in similar fashion.

Cheers - glad those are helping some - looking at a few others right now 
for this weekend:
- bison m4 sed​ - as current - and they are more developer oriented;
- dash grep gzip readline - as test - they are more pervasive and issues 
would be high impact.

I suggested linux-manpages a while back, as it comes from the same 
source as posix-manpages, and I install it myself, but did not get voted 
to package, due to duplication with conflicting priorities and no easy 
way to resolve under existing paths.

I could probably look at bash-completion if I can get around to bash, as 
I would worry about dependencies, fixes, and tweaks.

There are big challenges in bash and coreutils being years out of date 
as parts of those need customized for Cygwin, and the customization 
patches are likely to have issues, or even need redesign, if there have 
been major changes.

-- 
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

This email may be disturbing to some readers as it contains
too much technical detail. Reader discretion is advised.
[Data in binary units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]

-- 
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:     https://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple