Subject: Re: Font problems in cygwinx
From: Brian Inglis <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 15:58:31 -0600
List-Id: General Cygwin discussions and problem reports <cygwin.cygwin.com>

On 2021-07-02 15:21, mcforum wrote:
> The legends in the heading for emacs have turned into boxes. the text in buffers is normal.
> What interaction is causing this? The X11 emacs is unusable emacs -w32 works.

If you were using Windows fonts in Emacs, that could be caused by 
Windows packages that decide it's a good idea to replace your existing 
installed versions of Windows fonts by theirs e.g. LibreOffice updates 
mess up the appearance of all my Windows, X, and Cygwin apps until I 
reboot.

It seems to be caused by their ancient installer approach and aggressive 
font replacement policy.

If something like that could be a cause of your problem, try rebooting 
to see if that clears up the problem.

-- 
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

This email may be disturbing to some readers as it contains
too much technical detail. Reader discretion is advised.
[Data in binary units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]

-- 
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:     https://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple