Subject: Re: Windows Azure server CYGWIN version 3.2.0 Getting an error while executing man command
From: Brian Inglis <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2021 22:45:28 -0600
List-Id: General Cygwin discussions and problem reports <cygwin.cygwin.com>

On 2021-06-03 16:08, Lei Zhang wrote:
> Encounter a bug on Windows, and the bug details are below, please take a look when you get a moment, thanks!
> Account: Cygwin Solutions
> Product : CYGWIN
> Reference # 32959457
> Issue [Azure][Server][CYGWIN and 3.2.0][Getting an error while executing man command]
> Product version: 3.2.0
> Environment: Desktop
> OS: Windows 10 Insider Preview
> OS build: 20346.1.210427-1648
> Repro Steps:
> 1. Schedule WS2019 Azure edition OS.
> 2. Add roles and features.
> 3. Install the application with all defaults.
> 4. Launch the application.
> 5. Type man help or any other man commands and press enter.
> 6. Output is generated without any error.
> 7. Upgrade to latest OS build.
> 8. Type man help or any other man commands and press enter.
> 9. Observe.
> Actual Results:
> Getting an error while performing man command.
> Expected Results:
> Should view the manual of the particular man command.

Pretty vague description: Works Just Fine For Me!
Without access to your Azure server VM, build, install, update, and 
terminal logs, we have no idea what you may be running and what error 
you may be encountering.
When you report problems you must be very explicit and specific about 
what you are typing and seeing, and the edition, version, release, patch 
level of Windows you are running e.g. "Windows Server 2019 Datacenter: 
Azure Edition ... a new Windows Server image on Azure that has a unique 
build number and codebase", plus all the details on the "Upgrade to 
latest OS build", to which few or none of our support volunteers may 
have access, in which case you may have to participate in running tests, 
and reporting results accurately, to assist those trying to help you.

In addition, those service VMs could have almost any level of security 
restrictions applied during setup, so it is unlikely but possible that 
Cygwin may just be unable to run effectively under such an environment.
Many Cygwin users have encountered problems with defective commercial 
"security"/monitoring products "BLODA" in Cygwin's Big List of Dodgy 
Apps (a list https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.bloda of 
applications that interfere with the normal working of Cygwin by 
intrusively injecting themselves in the system call chain) where the 
only solutions were to have them ignore all Cygwin programs and DLLs, 
deinstall the products, or use a different system.

Please attach as plain text files:

* the output log from your Azure server VM, of running the Cygwin 
diagnostic command:
	$ cygserver -hrsv > cygcheck-hrsv.log
as requested at "Problem reports: https://cygwin.com/problems.html", at 
the bottom of all posts to the mailing list
* the contents of the initial /var/log/setup.log.full from running the 
Cygwin install
* the summary /var/log/setup.log from Cygwin installs
* the log /var/log/mandb-index.log from updating the man-db index during 
post-install
* any changed man or man-db configuration files under /etc/ or ~/.
* any commands affecting man in your ~/.bash_/zsh_/.../profile startup 
scripts
* a terminal log of your commands entered and output including errors 
encountered, or
* copy and paste the *actual* commands entered into the terminal and 
also the *verbatim* output and error messages generated.

That way the support volunteers have a chance of diagnosing what may be 
wrong with your installation, and suggesting what actions may be taken 
to resolve your problems, without requiring access to your system, or 
the ability to read your mind. ;^>

-- 
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

This email may be disturbing to some readers as it contains
too much technical detail. Reader discretion is advised.
[Data in binary units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]

-- 
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:     https://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple