Subject: Re: Questions on how to upgrade Apache
From: "Brian S. Wilson via Cygwin" <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Brian S. Wilson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2021 07:59:35 -0400
List-Id: General Cygwin discussions and problem reports <cygwin.cygwin.com>

>> I got a question for you all. Our cyber security team is yelling at us 
to update Apache from 2.4.39 to 2.4.46.
> If that website is customer-facing, your cyber security team and your
> ops team should be yelling at you for running Apache on Cygwin.
>
> If you want to run Apache on Windows, you would be much better served
> by native Apache builds (as others have suggested) -
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/platform/windows.html#down
>
> Csaba

In the past, I've used the Cygwin Apache instance for local testing when 
no Linux systems were available (i.e. old Windows hardware was all that 
was immediately available).  It gave us a good Posix like environment 
and allowed us to test the effects of various configurations with 
greater freedom, control, and much faster than we would otherwise have 
had if we were forced to go through the corporate bureaucracy and wait 
for web administrators, System Admins, purchaseing, setup, 
configuration, and networking of a real or virtual system (at that time 
Docker wasn't available to us either).

Windows based Apache installations are a good choice when possible, but 
they are not always the same as their Linux/Posix counterparts and if 
you are not concerned with the speed of execution (and you have only 
Windows based hardware available); but just with testing functionality, 
Cygwin offered a great way to setup a compatible environment with an 
Apache server.

--
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:     https://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple