Subject: Re: Noticed that mintty starts non-login bash with "Win+R mintty Enter".
From: Oleksandr Gavenko via Cygwin <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2021 01:09:14 +0200
List-Id: General Cygwin discussions and problem reports <cygwin.cygwin.com>

On 2021-01-05, Jason Pyeron wrote:

> I do not put Cygwin in my windows PATH, (anymore since about 10 years ago).

Sometimes it is useful to have GNU utils at hands. I use Far Commander and in
order to find directory size I type:

  du -s -m NAME

Also having Cygwin staff in PATH allows to start program elevated easily
(<Win> NAME <Ctrl><Shift><Enter>).

> I use an environment where settings are lost at logoff, so I have become
> accustomed to launching it from the command prompt.
>
> I have not found it too difficult to type
>
> 	c:\cygwin64\bin\mintty /bin/bash -l

It won't be productive for my workflow. I own dev PC, not restricted to
corporate policies and launch mintty hundred times a day (have CDPATH and
other convenience set as the environment is permanent).

Though I might get rid of Cygwin from PATH too.

For starting Emacs I wrote wrapper that run it elevated (and hides that
irritating console as I use emacs-w32) - it is a pleasure to be able to edit
Windows /etc/hosts from within Emacs ))

Same wrapper can be written for Mintty and placed to PATH.

Though I wouldn't do that because all IDEs are rely on git.exe from Cygwin...

It is pity that Mercurial comes with "shell" launcher, so cannot be used by
non-Cygwin programs.

-- 
http://defun.work/

--
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:     https://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple