Subject: Re: Fortran Installation
From: Brian Inglis <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Lou Umscheid <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2021 10:28:40 -0700
List-Id: General Cygwin discussions and problem reports <cygwin.cygwin.com>

On 2021-01-03 09:44, Lou Umscheid via Cygwin wrote:
> I would like to install Fortran on newly installed Cygwin64 on my new LG laptop. 
> I did this 9+ years ago for Cygwin32 on my Dell T1600 which is now fading. The 
> process 9 years ago was long and hard over several weeks with many fallbacks and 
> redo's. I am competent in Fortran programming but have only a minimum knowledge 
> of Linux/Unix. Can anyone point me to a guide (I searched but could not find 
> any) to installing Fortran, including which files to download, PATH, alias 
> changes, etc. I know it is a lot to ask, but ANY help would be appreciated.

To get a list of manually picked and installed packages in your current Cygwin 
installation (excluding library packages except if they are devel or doc 
packages) run the following command against your current installation:

$ awk '$3 && ($1 !~ /^lib/ || $1 ~ /-(devel|doc)/) {print $1}' \
	/etc/setup/installed.db | tee cygwin-packages-picked.txt

* transfer the file cygwin-packages-picked.txt to your new system e.g. your 
Windows account Downloads folder on your new system,
* download https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe to e.g. your Windows account 
Downloads folder on your new system,
* run setup-x86_64 on your new system with no selections to install a basic 
Cygwin installation for you, then
* start a Cygwin shell in a terminal session, and
* rerun the Cygwin setup program with e.g.:

$ cygstart /proc/cygdrive/c/Users/.../Downloads/setup-x86_64 \
-P "`cat /proc/cygdrive/c/Users/.../Downloads/cygwin-packages-picked.txt`"

to start installing the manually picked packages you had on your old system 
(dependencies will be automatically pulled in):
* you *MUST* exit your Cygwin shell and terminal, and ensure that you have no 
other Cygwin processes still running, before allowing the Cygwin setup program 
to proceed; and
* wait patiently for all the package downloads, installations, and post-install 
scripts to run to completion, before trying to do anything more under Cygwin on 
your new system.

-- 
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

This email may be disturbing to some readers as it contains
too much technical detail. Reader discretion is advised.
[Data in binary units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]
--
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:     https://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple