Subject: Re: cygwin x11 doesn't start after windows 10 upgrade
From: Steinar Bang <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2020 11:04:13 +0200
List-Id: General Cygwin discussions and problem reports <cygwin.cygwin.com>

>>>>> Steinar Bang <[email-masked]>:

> Platform: amd64, windows 10 10.0.18363 Build 18363,
>           cygwin xorg-server 1.20.5-3, xlaunch 20160530-1

> I start X11 by double clicking the following config.xlaunch:
>  https://gist.github.com/steinarb/8687e2113c601e061da909e75a180f39

> After the reboot caused by a windows 10 upgrade, launching X11 using
> xlaunch have stopped working.

[snip! attempts at fixing]
> Here's XWin.0.log from a startup attempt:
>  https://gist.github.com/steinarb/dacfec5172fd547cbec7c87723163193

The log doesn't have any obvious errors, but I've tried googling the
most error-message-like lines (so far without any luck).

I tried googling "xorg.conf is not supported" and found
 https://stackoverflow.com/questions/27526938/x-does-not-start-after-cygwin-upgrade
(title was promising but this is from 2014 and probably irrelevant)

I tried googling "Returning, supported engines 00000005" and found
 https://sourceware.org/legacy-ml/cygwin/2015-09/msg00084.html
(title also promising, but from 2015 and probably irrelevant as well)

Is the problem that I'm using xlaunch?  From the version number it looks
like it is from 2016?  Has the world change enough that it now longer
works for launching x?

What does people use to launch cygwin X these days?

--
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:     https://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple