Subject: Setup 2.774 texlive postinstall takes 10+ hours (resending due to cygwin bounce)
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 11:03:09 +0100
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

Hi,

I have just completed a cygwin install, which seemed to take an 
extraordinary length of time, so I started googling and found the article 
"Setup 1.7.11 texlive postinstall takes 6+ hours". Ken Brown's response to 
that post was hopeful, but may have underestimated the scope of the 
problem, putting it down to "something else going on with your system, 
maybe having to do with your VM." My installation was on a laptop, not a 
VM, and while I wouldn't claim that it's a powerful machine, I'm still 
very surprised at the install time. I also think it remarkable that most 
(something like 90%) of the install time was spent in the texlive 
postinstall phase; so in other words, most of the install ran at an 
acceptable speed (~16 mins to get to the start of the postinstall phase- 
not too bad for a slow laptop) but the first texlive task 
("/etc/postinstall/texlive-collection-basic.sh") then took 25 mins- more 
than the rest of the install up to that point.

So, I would say to Ken Brown- "Keep up the good work"- but please consider 
raising its priority! At the time of writing you had fixed 29 postinstall 
scripts and there were 45 remaining. Some users are being hit very hard by 
this and in fact I aborted the install several times before I realized 
that it wasn't hanging completely and that the postfix to the 
"/etc/postinstall/texlive-..." message in the install window was actually 
changing from time to time- it was that slow! I can send the 
setup.log.full if you want to see the timestamps for yourself.

Regards,
Martin.

This document is strictly confidential and intended only for use by the addressee unless otherwise stated.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your system.

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple