Subject: Re: perl-5.14.2 switch
From: "Yaakov (Cygwin/X)" <[email-masked]>
To: Reini Urban <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 04:53:10 -0500
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Reini Urban wrote:
> I'll be switching perl from 5.10 to 5.14 in the next days.

Another issue:

$Config{static_ext} is defined as Win32CORE.  The problem is that any
use of ExtUtils::Embed then requires Win32CORE; its bootstrap call is
included by xsinit and the static library added to ldopts, resulting
in the w32_* functions being exported by any EU::E module.

Where this really breaks things is where a EU::E module is linked with
libtool (as in gnumeric's perl-loader plugin): the xsinit-generated
code calls boot_Win32CORE() but libtool will drop any static link
libraries when creating a shared library/module, meaning the link
fails with an unresolved reference to said function.

AFAICS, static_ext should be empty; packages which actually need the
w32_* symbols can add Win32CORE as an argument to the EU::E functions.

Yaakov

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple