Subject: RE: Lost Network Connectivity from Cygwin
From: "Gary Furash" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Furash, Gary" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 14:42:51 -0700
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

What's even odder that I just tested is:
1. startup DOS prompt with Cygwin executables in the path
2. execute Cygwin network programs (e.g., sftp) - work fine
3. start from the same command line bash.exe. Bash starts up and executes my
profile
4. same statement as 2 says "Request could not find host"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---- 

I've checked and the primary problem is something like:
Name resolution (can't find www.google.com - no response)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---- 

Recently, I’m able to fire up my Cygwin client with no problem but I can’t
perform any network operations other than being able to ping myself and the
gateway, any other type of network action (resolution, getting past my
gateway) fails with no useful message.

I’m guessing that this might be a user profile issue since our office is
managed by Microsoft Security.

I used my normal 
       mkpasswd -l [-d] > /etc/passwd
       mkgroup  -l [-d] > /etc/group
to set them up.

Here’s my entry in passwd:
furashg:unused:102527:10513:U-CATNET\furashg,S-1-5-21-3885614643-332083874-8
14631590-92527:/cygdrive/c/users/furashg:/bin/bash

Here’s the matching group entry in /etc/group
- Domain Users:S-1-5-21-3885614643-332083874-814631590-513:10513:

Strangely, the “U-CATNET\” above doesn’t correspond to any line by name in
group. When I logon to my computer it’s as \catnet\furashg.

All network activity is fine if I run the DOS prompt and just add Cygwin
executable to my path.
       
gary furash | email: [email-masked]; mobile: 520-907-2470;
share:http://bit.ly/zwgMAI

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple