Subject: How To Handle Special Characters in Cygwin, E.G., Trademark Symbol, n with the tilde above it
From: "Leon Vanderploeg" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 09:44:26 -0600
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

Greetings,

I have recently encountered a problem with accessing files that have special
characters in the file names.  The special characters include (a couple
examples) the trademark symbol and the n with a tilde above it.  The
recommendation from "
http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html" is:
=============================
Filenames with unusual (foreign) characters
Windows filesystems use Unicode encoded as UTF-16 to store filename
information. If you don't use the UTF-8 character set (see the section
called "Internationalization") then there's a chance that a filename is
using one or more characters which have no representation in the character
set you're using.
	Note

	In the default "C" locale, Cygwin creates filenames using the UTF-8
charset. This will always result in some
	 valid filename by default, but again might impose problems when
switching to a non-"C" or non-"UTF-8" charset.

	Note

	To avoid this scenario altogether, always use UTF-8 as the character
set.
=============================

Suggestions on how to access these files?  

Thanks in advance...
Leon

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple