Subject: Re: Zsh completion problem
From: Vikas Mishra <[email-masked]>
To: "Peter A. Castro" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 23:03:08 -0700
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

Replying again (with Cygwin ML in copy)

Hello Peter.

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 9:40 PM, Peter A. Castro <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I think you're going to have to give me some examples of what completion
> you are attempting.  I still can't make this fail no matter what I try.
> Your .zcompdump looks fine to me and if I strip my config to be just
> your example (uncommented, of course) I can't make it fail.

Thanks for asking me this question. In order to answer you, I tried
some experiments and they revealed something I wouldn't have
guessed. I wanted to attach a screenshot indicating that even cd
completion was becoming a problem but when I tried it, it worked. So I
did some more experiments and found the following.

a. If I try to do completion within the cygwin installation, that
works fine. So for example, I can do cd /usr/bin/ or cd ~/path and
this works fine.

b. If I try to do this outside the cygwin, for example I try to do cd
/c/Users/vimishra/, it won't work. I have remapped cygdrive to /. It
won't even complete /c/Users/.

c. If I comment the cygdrive remapping in /etc/fstab, so that the
cygdrive prefix becomes /cygdrive again, I _dont'_ get the
problem. The completion works everywhere. I had never thought that
this could have affected completion - but obviously it does.

d. If I change the cygdrive to something else, like /drive - the
completion is still working.

So I guess the problem statement changes from - completion not working
to completion not working when remapping cygdrive to /. It works in
the other cases. I can live with this if I have to, but would be
interesting to find out what could be going wrong in this case.

Let me know in case there are other experiments, I can try.

Regards,
Vikas

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple