Subject: Re: Windows Server 2008 64-bit setup.exe/bash problem - Amazon Cloud
From: Corinna Vinschen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Dave Cottlehuber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 13:45:08 +0200
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

On Aug 12 00:48, Dave Cottlehuber wrote:
> On 7/15/2010 11:44 AM, Ernest Mueller wrote:
> 
>     Michael, did you ever find a fix for this?  I had to give up on cygwin on
>     the Amazon 64-bit and instead cobbled together freesshd and random
>     freewares.
> 
> 
>     Larry or others - what's the "right way" to report this as a bug?  I think
>     working on newer 64-bit OSes is pretty important...  And it should be
>     trivial to reproduce since the Amazon instances are publicly available;
>     nobody has to actually buy them expensive licenses...
> 
> 
> Reporting this issue on the list is the right way to report the bug.
> 
> --
> Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
> 
> 
> I have found 1 more piece of the puzzle - unfortunately not a complete
> solution but it does seem to helpa. Any further ideas?
> 
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956607

This KB article refers to Cygwin 1.5.  At the time of writing Cygwin 1.7
was not released.

I have local Cygwin test installations of all Windows OSes since NT4,
including all 64 bit OSes.  Well, admittedly only workstation releases
of NT4 and 2000, no server, but otherwise every later OS.  However, all
the servers are so called "Standard" servers, no "Enterprise" or
"Datacenter" editions.

For testing, I went out of my way and installed a local x64 Windows
Server 2008 Datacenter machine.  Apart from updating to SP2 plus all the
latest Microsoft patches and configuring to match my environment, I have
not changed anything else, nor did I install any third-party software.

Then I installed a Cygwin Base install using the latest setup.exe.

It went 100% well.  No fails in postinstall scripts.  An interactive
bash started just fine.

Then I removed every trace of Cygwin from the machine and installed
Terminal Services, which is known to interfere badly with Cygwin
applications which don't have the TS-awareness flag set in the PE/COFF
header.  I also installed any

Then I installed a Cygwin Base install using the latest setup.exe.

It went 100% well.  No fails in postinstall scripts.  An interactive
bash started just fine.

> http://dch.posterous.com/cygwin-dumps-core-on-windows-2008-r1sp2-on-ec

So, this muse-ing of yours is not correct.

To me this implies that the Amazon Cloud VMs have some BLODA installed
by default.  I'm not going to check this voluntarily.  I suggest that
somebody who wants to run Cygwin on such a machine investigates this
further, or just asks Amazon to fix this and hope for the best.

Corinna

-- 
Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Project Co-Leader          cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
Red Hat

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple