Subject: Re: ln -- is there a way to get the old behavior back? (ENV var?)
From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
To: Linda Walsh <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 01:36:37 -0400 (EDT)
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

----- "Linda Walsh" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Is there a way to get back the previous 'ln' behavior and have
> it create a NTFS hard link?  The new behavior -- having it create
> a hardlink that works only in cygwin is less than useful to me, since
> I use cygwin to maintain windows.

Huh?  If your file system allows the creation of hard links,
such as NTFS, then those hard links are visible to any other
use of that file system (whether it be other windows but
non-cygwin processes, or even remote access of a network-based
file system); there is nothing cygwin-specific about
that.  Perhaps you are confusing things with cygwin symlinks,
where we really do have to have cygwin-specific behavior?
Remember, ln can be used to create both hard links and symlinks,
but while symlinks can be emulated on any file system (at the
expense of being cygwin-specific), hard links require
underlying fs support (and hence fails on FAT, which lacks
that support).

As is, your question didn't make much sense to me; please
show a transcript of exact command line sequences showing what you
are trying to accomplish and why you think that cygwin isn't
doing the right thing, rather than just describing it in words.

-- 
Eric Blake   [email-masked]    +1-801-349-2682
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple