Subject: Re: 1.7.1: Bind 9.6.0-P1 on Vista: could not listen on UDP socket: not enough free resources
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Francois Donze <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 14:13:56 -0700
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 04:53:43PM +0100, Fran?ois Donz? wrote:
> 15-Feb-2010 16:33:33.279 less than 128 UDP sockets available after 
> applying 'reserved-sockets' and 'maxsockets'
> 15-Feb-2010 16:33:36.435 listening on IPv4 interface 
> {5DAF3057-DBA6-4354-A5FA-6171C8, 192.168.222.1#53
> 15-Feb-2010 16:33:36.437 socket: file descriptor exceeds limit (128/64)
> 15-Feb-2010 16:33:36.437 could not listen on UDP socket: not enough free 
> resources

Apparently if you pass named the -S argument with anything above 128,
then it seems to work just fine (reserved-sockets in the config doesn't
seem to help).  I just ran into the same annoyance.  Try it out like 
so:  /usr/sbin/named -f -g -S 256

Not sure why this is happening other than the default limits not being 
honored and/or get botched by setrlimit() in there somewhere...

Hope that helps.

Mohan

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple