Subject: Re: Running old cygwin.dll under Windows 7
From: Stephen Morton <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Hussein Patwa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 22:21:34 -0400
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 23:56:41 +0200, Hussein Patwa Wrote:
>Apologies for what is probably such an obvious question, but some of the
>utilities I wish to use do not support the latest cygwin dll.  However, I
>tried running the legacy setup but Cygwin will not start, with the Windows
>7 Subsystem for Unix complaining of invalid applications and .pif files.

I assume you're clicking on the link on the desktop and getting this error.
This is just because at the very end of the setup, cygwin makes a shortcut
to the cygwin shell on the desktop. However, it uses some obsolete
(to windows 7) file format to create the shortcut, so Windows 7 does not
recognize it.

Just go to c:\cygwin (or wherever your cygwin root is) and right-click-drag the
Cygwin.bat file to your desktop and select "create a shortcut here", and
everything will work fine.

Stephen

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple