Subject: Re: "GCC is not found" and "compiler cannot create executables" errors
From: Csaba Raduly <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 17:49:17 +0200
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 5:25 PM, david sastre <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I think it is pretty normal stuff:
>
> $ gcc -v -save-temps hola.mundo.c
> Usando especificaciones internas.
> Objetivo: i686-pc-cygwin
> Configurado con:
(snip)
> gcc versión 4.3.4 20090804 (release) 1 (GCC)
> COLLECT_GCC_OPTIONS='-v' '-save-temps' '-mtune=generic' '-march=i686'
>  /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.3.4/cc1.exe -E -quiet -v -D__CYGWIN32__
> -D__CYGWIN__ -Dunix -D__unix__ -D__unix -idirafter
> /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.3.4/../../../../include/w32api
> -idirafter /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.3.4/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/lib/../../include/w32api
> hola.mundo.c -mtune=generic -march=i686 -fpch-preprocess -o
> hola.mundo.i

There was supposed to be some more output here, for example:
(my comments marked with ***)

$ gcc -std=gnu99 -c  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -Ded_PROGRAM=\"ed\"
-DENABLE_MERGE -I. -I./src -I./gl/lib -g -O2 -o gl/lib/argmatch.o
gl/lib/argmatch.c -march=prescott -O2  -fomit-frame-pointer -v
-save-temps
Using built-in specs.
Target: i686-pc-cygwin
(snip)
gcc version 4.3.4 20090804 (release) 1 (GCC)
COLLECT_GCC_OPTIONS='-std=gnu99' '-c' '-DHAVE_CONFIG_H'
'-Ded_PROGRAM="ed"' '-DENABLE_MERGE' '-I.' '-I./src' '-I./gl/lib' '-g'
'-O2' '-o' 'gl/lib/argmatch.o' '-march=prescott' '-O2'
'-fomit-frame-pointer' '-v' '-save-temps'
 /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.3.4/cc1.exe -E -quiet -v -I. -I./src
-I./gl/lib -D__CYGWIN32__ -D__CYGWIN__ -Dunix -D__unix__ -D__unix
-idirafter /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.3.4/../../../../include/w32api
-idirafter /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.3.4/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/lib/../../include/w32api
-DHAVE_CONFIG_H -Ded_PROGRAM="ed" -DENABLE_MERGE gl/lib/argmatch.c
-march=prescott -std=gnu99 -fomit-frame-pointer -fworking-directory
-O2 -O2 -fpch-preprocess -o argmatch.i

*** Now comes the output of cc1 -E  ; you have no output from cc1 -E

ignoring nonexistent directory
"/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.3.4/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/include"
ignoring duplicate directory
"/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.3.4/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/lib/../../include/w32api"
#include "..." search starts here:
#include <...> search starts here:
 .
 ./src
 ./gl/lib
 /usr/local/include
 /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.3.4/include
 /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.3.4/include-fixed
 /usr/include
 /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.3.4/../../../../include/w32api
End of search list.
COLLECT_GCC_OPTIONS='-std=gnu99' '-c' '-DHAVE_CONFIG_H'
'-Ded_PROGRAM="ed"' '-DENABLE_MERGE' '-I.' '-I./src' '-I./gl/lib' '-g'
'-O2' '-o' 'gl/lib/argmatch.o' '-march=prescott' '-O2'
'-fomit-frame-pointer' '-v' '-save-temps'
 /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.3.4/cc1.exe -fpreprocessed argmatch.i
-quiet -dumpbase argmatch.c -march=prescott -auxbase-strip
gl/lib/argmatch.o -g -O2 -O2 -std=gnu99 -version -fomit-frame-pointer
-o argmatch.s
GNU C (GCC) version 4.3.4 20090804 (release) 1 (i686-pc-cygwin)
        compiled by GNU C version 4.3.4 20090804 (release) 1, GMP
version 4.3.1, MPFR version 2.4.1-p5.
GGC heuristics: --param ggc-min-expand=100 --param ggc-min-heapsize=131072
Compiler executable checksum: d5cdab7e958df0270fe64611765e0bb6
COLLECT_GCC_OPTIONS='-std=gnu99' '-c' '-DHAVE_CONFIG_H'
'-Ded_PROGRAM="ed"' '-DENABLE_MERGE' '-I.' '-I./src' '-I./gl/lib' '-g'
'-O2' '-o' 'gl/lib/argmatch.o' '-march=prescott' '-O2'
'-fomit-frame-pointer' '-v' '-save-temps'
 /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.3.4/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/as.exe
-v -I. -I./src -I./gl/lib -o gl/lib/argmatch.o argmatch.s
GNU assembler version 2.19.51 (i686-cygwin) using BFD version (GNU
Binutils) 2.19.51.20090704
COMPILER_PATH=/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.3.4/:/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.3.4/:/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/:/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.3.4/:/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/:/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.3.4/:/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/:/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.3.4/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/
LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.3.4/:/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.3.4/:/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.3.4/../../../:/lib/:/usr/lib/
COLLECT_GCC_OPTIONS='-std=gnu99' '-c' '-DHAVE_CONFIG_H'
'-Ded_PROGRAM="ed"' '-DENABLE_MERGE' '-I.' '-I./src' '-I./gl/lib' '-g'
'-O2' '-o' 'gl/lib/argmatch.o' '-march=prescott' '-O2'
'-fomit-frame-pointer' '-v' '-save-temps'

I think it's time for

cygcheck /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.3.4/cc1.exe

Perhaps one of these is missing:
  C:\cygwin\bin\cyggmp-3.dll
  C:\cygwin\bin\cygmpfr-1.dll

-- 
Life is complex, with real and imaginary parts

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple