Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: cygwin-1.7.3-1
From: Rurik Christiansen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 14:27:00 +1000
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

On 7 April 2010 00:13, Christopher Faylor
<[email-masked]> wrote:

[...]

> So, did anyone actually read my response here about how this wouldn't
> work for Cygwin?  If so, you'd have to think that these responses were
> pretty off-topic.

Actually I did but I gracefully disagree :)

Strictly speaking you are technically perfectly correct.

Humans however are technically imperfect creatures and so we like to
give names even to collection of things that are ambiguous.

The classical example is a river: the flowing water is never the same,
the surface changes and slowly but surely its path changes too (due to
erosion, etc.)

Ambiguity is a way of life, even in mathematics. Take for example the
'=' sign. Is it equality ? Assignment ? Equivalence ? If we write 1/3
= 0.33333..... and multiply by 3 what do we get ?

As yet another example the latest Fedora names itself '12' And yet I
currently have about 3.7 GB worth of patches (and these are not all of
them). Should they too drop the numbering system altogether ?

Ambiguously yours,
-- 
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple