Subject: Re: mintty - changing colours when logging in to remote host
From: Andy Koppe <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 19:14:23 +0100
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

Gary:
> Is it possible to change the colour scheme when connecting to a remote
> system, to remind me where I am actually "running"?

Yes. There are control sequences for changing the colours, so you
could do this with the appropriate echo commands in your remote login
script. Or you could have a local script that changes colours before
connecting to the remote system. For example, to set the background
colour to dark red:

echo $'\e]12;64,0,0\a'

Alternatively, you could invoke the remote connection directly from a
shortcut and configure the colours by setting the shortcut target to
something like this:

C:\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe -o BackgroundColour=128,0,0 /bin/ssh server

See the mintty manual for further information. The xterm documentation
at http://invisible-island.net/xterm/ctlseqs/ctlseqs.html has the full
details of those control sequences (look for "Operating System
Controls").

Andy

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple