Subject: Re: Xcompose like input for UTF-8 ?
From: Andy Koppe <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 20:59:03 +0100
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

Rurik Christiansen wrote:
> Is there a way to have something similar to Xcompose for utf8 input ?

You can have actual Xcompose by running an X server and using xterm or
rxvt-unicode.

For the console and mintty, you depend on Windows' native mechanisms,
in particular, "dead keys". Different keyboard layouts can be chosen
in the 'Region and Language' control panel. The standard US keyboard
layout doesn't allow entering non-ASCII characters, but the "US
International" keyboard layout does. See here for details:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#US-International.

If none of the available layouts do what you need, there's also the
possibility of creating your own using MS Keyboard Layout Creator.

Andy

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple