Subject: Re: Installing mintty in a restricted environment
From: Andy Koppe <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 19:37:17 +0100
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

Rance Hall wrote:
> I had to check the box on setup that said I was installing for just me
> so that setup wouldnt try to install shortcuts in ALL USERS which it
> does not have the right to do.
>
> mintty did not self-setup correctly under this scenario.
>
> I did not get a mintty icon on my desktop

It doesn't create an icon on the desktop, but it should create a
mintty entry in the All Programs/Cygwin folder in the start menu. Just
copy it to the desktop if you prefer having it there.

> likely because mintty did
> not respect my choice of ALL USERS or "just me" in setup.exe

Actually there is code for this case in the mintty postinstall script.
It works for me, but I don't think it gets an awful lot of use, so
there might well be circumstances where it fails.

> Thanks Jeremy, apparently the problem is the "-" at the end of the
> mintty call.  Thats the beast that tells mintty to read the
> environment files.

Not quite. It tells mintty to invoke the shell, usually bash, as a
so-called login shell. In that case, bash reads different startup
files compared to when it's invoked as non-login shell. See the bash
manual for details.

Andy

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple