Subject: Re: 1.7.2 on 2008 SP2: man segfaults + X problems
From: Mark McConnell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 18:50:13 -0700
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

RESOLVED.  Windows Server 2008 has Data Execution Prevention (DEP)
enabled by default.  Apparently there are a number of Cygwin programs
that are not compatible DEP.  All of the symptoms that I described are
related to this.  I've turned off DEP for all programs except crucial
Windows applications.

I would prefer to make exceptions for Cygwin programs only, rather
than turning off DEP for all third party applications; but the unix
model of many small programs interoperating with one another would
seem to make this impractical.  I'll investigate that further, but as
for the problem I described with my Cygwin installation on Server 2008
SP2, I've resolved it.

Thanks for your patience.

Mark
--

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple