Subject: Cygwin slow on x64 systems
From: David Morgan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 11:19:36 -0600
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

Hello all,

	We use cygwin for our build environment, and have observed that 
everything runs extremely slow on x64 systems, for versions newer than
approximately 1.5.12 (including 1.7.1).  When I run the following command
in BASH,

while true; do date >> file; done

on a 1.5.12 Core II system, I get approximately 100 dates per second.  
On a 1.7.1 Nehalem system, I get approximately 15, and it takes several
seconds for Ctrl-C to take effect, whereas it's instantaneous on 1.5.12.
It makes no difference whether I redirect the output or not.

We have found that the problem was introduced somewhere between 1.5.12 
and 1.5.24-2.   We have not seen any such slowdown on x86 systems.
We have observed this on XP x64, Server 2003 R2 x64, and now (with 1.7.1
only) on Windows 7 x64.

Can anyone recommend how we could profile this to help isolate the problem?
We have vTune and Quantify in-house.

Regards,

David

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple