Subject: Setup.exe 2.674 local directory issue
From: "Cumps, Erik" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 16:40:27 +0100
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

Hello,

while trying to use setup.exe version 2.674 to upgrade an existing 1.5
cygwin install I detected the following issue:

If you specify 'Install from Local Directory' and a 'Local Package
Directory' path containing a trailing backslash, setup fails to detect
the packages in the directory.

If you specify the same directory path WITHOUT any trailing backslash,
setup detects the packages just fine.

Setup appears to be computing invalid pathnames for the local package
files when a trailing backslash is present in the local dir path, as
evidenced by monitoring setup's file activity with tools like procmon.

The first log is from a setup session specifying 'X:\' as local dir:

IRP_MJ_CREATE	X:\\release\a2ps\a2ps-4.13-1-src.tar.bz2
PATH SYNTAX BAD
IRP_MJ_CREATE
X:\\ttp%3a%2f%2fmirrors.kernel.org%2fsourceware%2fcygwin\release\a2ps\a2
ps-4.13-1.tar.bz2	PATH SYNTAX BAD

The second log is from a setup session specifying 'X:' as local dir:

IRP_MJ_CREATE	X:\release\a2ps\a2ps-4.13-1.tar.bz2
PATH NOT FOUND
IRP_MJ_CREATE
X:\http%3a%2f%2fmirrors.kernel.org%2fsourceware%2fcygwin\release\a2ps\a2
ps-4.13-1.tar.bz2	SUCCESS

This behaviour seems quite unintuitive to me, especially considering
that the browse button for the 'Local Package Directory' generates
path names WITH a trailing backslash.

Thanks for your fantastic work on Cygwin and setup.exe!

Best regards,
Erik Cumps

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple