Subject: Installed Cygwin 1.7 - no X?
From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 17:08:49 +0100
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

Installed Cygwin 1.7 beta on a new clean machine - figured I may as well
get with the 1.7 program. Let it install all defaults plus a few  
packages
I knew I'd need. Added to default list, didn't remove anything.
Installed on C:\cygwin under Windows XP SP2.

How to start X? No XWin Server icon in menu. Just the cygwin shell
server on desktop. No /usr/bin/startxwin.bat script. No /usr/bin/ 
Xwin.exe.
And no xinit, which I thought was how X 7.4 got started.

/usr/include/X11 has header files. /usr/lib/X11 is pretty much empty,
bar the config/ dir.

Looked in /usr/bin/X11R6. Nothing there bar run.exe. Which figures,
since that should be history with the 7.4 install. But why is run.exe
there as well as in /usr/bin?

Went through new FAQ and userguide and changes/features. No help.

Did the beta munge the X install?

thanks,

L.

<http://info.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/><[email-masked]>

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple