Subject: FW: OpenSSH server installation error on Windows Vista Business/Ultimate
From: "David Christensen" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: "'Paul August'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 16:38:21 -0700
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

cygwin:

I installed a fresh copy of Cygwin and a fresh copy of the Cygwin
OpenSSH service on a fresh installation of Windows Vista Ultimate SP1
32-bit yesterday:

1.  Download Cygwin Setup to C:\cygwin\setup\setup.exe.

2.  Run Cygwin Setup:

    a.  Install from Internet (default).

    b.  C:\cygwin root directory (default).

    c.  Install for all users (default).

    d.  Unix/ binary default text file type (default).

    e.  C:\cygwin\setup local package directory (default).

    f.  Direct connection to Internet (default).

    g.  ftp://mirrors.kernel.org download site.

    h.  Select source packages to match base/ default packages.

    i.  Create Desktop and Start menu shortcuts.

3.  Start Cygwin Bash Shell, then exit it.

4.  Run Cygwin Setup again:

    a-g.  Same as above.

    h.  Select 'openssh' package.  Setup will select dependencies.
Select source packages for all of these.

    i.  No need to recreate shortcuts.

5.  Start Cygwin Bash Shell and wrestle with ssh-host-config, 'net start
sshd', and /var/log/sshd.log, rebooting several times along the way for
the sake of paranoia.  In the end, I need to make four system changes to
get sshd working:

    a.  'chmod 0777 /etc/passwd' -- overkill, so that ssh-host-config
could create the cyg_server account.  (I changed permissions to 0644
afterwards.)

    b.  'chmod 0777 /etc/group' -- more overkill for ssh-host-config.
(I changed permissions to 0644 afterwards.)

    c.  'chmod 0777 /var' -- more overkill for ssh-host-config.  (I left
it that way.)

    d.  'chown cyg_server /var/empty' -- necessary to start the sshd
service.

HTH,

David

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/