Subject: RE: OpenSSH server installation error on Windows Vista Business/Ultimate
From: "David Christensen" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: "'Paul August'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 19:09:17 -0700
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

Paul August wrote:

> This what I did:
> 1. Log on as Administrator.
> 2. Remove my existing Cygwin directory
> 3. Download Cygwin Setup to C:\Downloads

I download Cygwin Setup to C:\cygwin\setup\setup.exe and packages under
C:\cygwin\setup.  It probably doesn't matter, but I recall that when I
tried to share a single Cygwin setup/ download directory across multiple
machines via the network, things broke.  Are you trying that?  If so,
don't -- you want a dedicated Cygwin setup/ download directory for each
machine.  I think Cygwin Setup stores machine-/ installation-specific
metadata in there.

> 4. Run Cygwin Setup. Accept the default package selections (e.g.
> base) and also get OpenSSH package.

I have found that if I select anything in addition to the base/ default
packages on the very first run of Cygwin Setup, things break.  So, now I
do two (or more) runs of Setup -- the first for base/ defaults *only*,
and subsequent runs for additional goodies.  Please try again with two
passes.

>> 3.  Run "cygcheck" per http://cygwin.com/problems.html and save
>> cygcheck.out.
> It is attached to this message.

Thank you.  Perhaps other people will spot a clue in there.

HTH,

David

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/