Subject: Re: [Fwd: [1.7] wcwidth failing configure tests]
From: Andy Koppe <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 08:24:20 +0100
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

2009/6/5 Thomas Wolff:
> the locale syntax allows for an optional "modifier" which can be used to
> specify deviations, e.g.
>        de_DE           has charmap ISO-8859-1
>        de_DE@euro      has charmap ISO-8859-15
>        uz_UZ           has charmap ISO-8859-1
>        uz_UZ@cyrillic  has charmap UTF-8
>        aa_ER and aa_ER@saaho both have charmap UTF-8 (with some other difference).
> Thus you could define e.g.
>        ja_JP.UTF-8@cjk
> or
>        ja_JP.UTF-8@cjkwidth
> to indicate CJK width properties. I guess this is the most compliant way to go.

This looks the right approach to me.

However, to make the locale setting more convenient for CJK users,
there could be modifiers for both widths. Without modifier, the CJK
locales would default to "Ambiguous Wide", while everything else would
default to "Ambiguous Narrow".

In the time-honoured tradition of keeping Unix identifiers brief and
obscure, I propose the modifiers should be "@aw" and "@an". Otherwise,
how about "@ambigwide" and "@ambignarrow"?

Calling it something like "cjkwide" has the problem that it gives the
impression that the actual CJK ideographs are affected by this,
whereas this really concerns things like line drawing characters and
non-latin non-CJK letters. That confused me to start with anyway.

Puzzled that this hasn't been solved in glibc years ago ...

Andy

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/