Subject: Re: emacs -nw keypad and tpu-edt.el
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 10:48:45 +0300
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

> Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 16:05:25 -0400
> From: Ken Brown <kbrown at cornell dot edu>
> 
> On 5/27/2009 3:36 PM, Tim Adye wrote:
> > I just checked this on another machine that still had the old emacs 21.2 (and
> > had recently had a fresh Cygwin install, and I applied the latest changes
> > before testing). Before updating emacs, it worked fine. I then installed
> > 23.0.92-2 emacs, emacs-el, and emacs-X11 and the keypad problem appeared. I
> > then reverted to 21.2-13 and it was working again.
> 
> OK, then I was completely misinterpreting the results of the keypad 
> tests.  Sorry for the noise.  Maybe Eli can suggest something else at
> this point.

What I can suggest at this point is send a formal bug report about
this with "M-x report-emacs-bug RET".  I'm CC'ing emacs-devel because
I think what's below might supply additional information for the bug
report.

FWIW, here are some of my observations from this thread, which may or
may not be relevant:

  . TERM was reported to be set to rxvt-native or rxvt-cygwin-native,
    not to rxvt, at least in some of the messages in this thread.
    Other messages said TERM was set to xterm; please note that xterm
    and rxvt have different terminal support libraries in Emacs, so
    testing with each one can show problems that are not relevant to
    the other.  For example, xterm has definitions for kp-* keys,
    while rxvt.el does not.

  . It is not clear to me what was the setting of the NumLock key on
    each machine whose user participated in this thread.  In addition,
    I have no idea how do Cygwin ports of xterm and rxvt handle
    NumLock.

  . One message said that going back to Emacs 21.2 did not solve the
    problem (http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2009-05/msg00714.html),
    while others said it did
    (http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2009-05/msg00732.html).

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/