Subject: Re: Cygwin git and Windows native Git differ on flipping permissions
From: Alexy Khrabrov <[email-masked]>
To: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 22:52:50 -0400
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:32 PM, Eric Blake <[email-masked]> wrote:
> ...the native windows git is compiled with a flag that
> states that the x bit is unreliable (which, in general, Windows apps are
> so lousy with their handling of the x bit on NTFS, and it is impossible to
> track x bit on FAT, is probably the right thing).  Meanwhile, the cygwin
> git is compiled to respect the x bit, because cygwin does a better job of
> properly managing x bits on NTFS, and doing a better job of a reasonable
> fake of the x bit on FAT.

Eric -- thanks for the illumination! :)  Now I wonder whether
respecting the x bit can be a configurable option in git, or Windows
native folks can make it such, or you can make it such?  Now that we
have two sets of gits, and a Visual Studio plugin from Git Extensions
using the native one, there's a benefit to being able to ignore the x
difference when desirable.

Cheers,
Alexy

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/