Subject: RE: debian-live-500-i386-rescue.iso: FAILED
From: "David Christensen" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: "'Debian Live'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 13:56:47 -0700
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

cygwin:

I wrote on debian-live
(http://lists.debian.org/debian-live/2009/04/msg00068.html):

> I've downloaded several files from:
>    http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/release/current-live/i386/iso-cd/
> When I attempt to verify the checksums related to the "rescue" disk,
> the ISO image appears corrupt:
>    2009-04-11 21:00:35 dpchrist@p43400e /cygdrive/h/data/iso/debian
>    $ md5sum -c MD5SUMS 2>&1 | grep 'rescue.iso'
>    debian-live-500-i386-rescue.iso: FAILED
>    debian-live-500-i386-rescue.iso.list: OK
>    debian-live-500-i386-rescue.iso.log: OK
>    debian-live-500-i386-rescue.iso.packages: OK
> I've downloaded MD5SUMS and debian-live-500-i386-rescue.iso twice,
> with the same results.

Daniel Baumann wrote
(http://lists.debian.org/debian-live/2009/04/msg00069.html):

> i don't think so.
...
>
daniel@debian:/mnt/daniel1/srv/debian-unofficial/live/cdimage/release/5.
0.0/i386/iso-cd$ grep "rescue.*iso$" MD5SUMS
> b02c3606a3f35f160a591fe1154aa362  debian-live-500-i386-rescue.iso
>
daniel@debian:/mnt/daniel1/srv/debian-unofficial/live/cdimage/release/5.
0.0/i386/iso-cd$ md5sum debian-live-500-i386-rescue.iso
> b02c3606a3f35f160a591fe1154aa362  debian-live-500-i386-rescue.iso
...
> make sure both your computer and network work correctly

Thank you for your help.  :-)

I ran more some more tests:

2009-04-12 08:13:07 dpchrist@p43400e /cygdrive/h/data/iso/debian
$ md5sum debian-live-500-i386-rescue.iso
b02c3606a3f35f160a591fe1154aa362 *debian-live-500-i386-rescue.iso

2009-04-12 08:13:39 dpchrist@p43400e /cygdrive/h/data/iso/debian
$ grep 'rescue.iso$' MD5SUMS
b02c3606a3f35f160a591fe1154aa362  debian-live-500-i386-rescue.iso

2009-04-12 08:42:26 dpchrist@p43400e /cygdrive/h/data/iso/debian
$ md5sum -c MD5SUMS 2>&1 | grep 'rescue\.iso'
debian-live-500-i386-rescue.iso: FAILED
debian-live-500-i386-rescue.iso.list: OK
debian-live-500-i386-rescue.iso.log: OK
debian-live-500-i386-rescue.iso.packages: OK

md5sum computes the same checksum as what is contained in MD5SUMS, but
prepends an asterisk to the filename on output.  So, the *.iso file is
okay, but "md5sum -c MD5SUMS" is somehow broken (?).

Attempting to force binary mode:

2009-04-12 08:43:47 dpchrist@p43400e /cygdrive/h/data/iso/debian
$ md5sum -b -c MD5SUMS
md5sum: the --binary and --text options are meaningless when verifying
checksums

Try `md5sum --help' for more information.

Nope.  Perhaps there is something wrong with my Cygwin (?) and/or md5sum
(?).  Updating and trying again:

2009-04-12 13:44:25 dpchrist@p43400e /cygdrive/h/data/iso/debian
$ md5sum debian-live-500-i386-rescue.iso
b02c3606a3f35f160a591fe1154aa362 *debian-live-500-i386-rescue.iso

2009-04-12 13:45:09 dpchrist@p43400e /cygdrive/h/data/iso/debian
$ grep 'rescue.iso$' MD5SUMS
b02c3606a3f35f160a591fe1154aa362  debian-live-500-i386-rescue.iso

2009-04-12 13:45:41 dpchrist@p43400e /cygdrive/h/data/iso/debian
$ md5sum -c MD5SUMS 2>&1 | grep 'rescue\.iso'
debian-live-500-i386-rescue.iso: FAILED
debian-live-500-i386-rescue.iso.list: OK
debian-live-500-i386-rescue.iso.log: OK
debian-live-500-i386-rescue.iso.packages: OK

Nope.  cygcheck.out attached.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

David
--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/