Subject: Re: [PATCH] rakudo Re: Parrot packaging problems
From: "Patrick R. Michaud" <[email-masked]>
To: Reini Urban <[email-masked]>
Cc: Michael Schroeder <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 11:12:03 -0500
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 11:09:19AM +0200, Reini Urban wrote:
> leading to /usr/share/doc/rakudo-2009 and not rakudo-2009-03.
> I might be tempted to use rakudo-200903 as package name.

We can change the releases to be the 200903 form if that's 
much better.  But I personally much prefer the 2009-03 form
("2009-03" is an ISO standard date form, whereas "200903" isn't).

> > One question I have though... why exactly do we need a separate
> > installable_perl6 target?  What does the --install option to pbc_to_exe
> > do that is different from a normal pbc_to_exe run?
> 
> --install links to install_config.o in contrast to parrot_config.o,
> so we use the config hash from the installed parrot, with the correct
> library paths.

For some reason that doesn't sound quite right to me.  When converting
rakudo to an executable, the pbc2exe we use should already know 
if it's being run using an installed parrot or some other parrot 
(because pbc2exe is itself a parrot application).  So we shouldn't
have to pass an explicit flag to it -- we should simply get the
correct perl6 executable based on whatever pbc2exe was run.

> I also get lots of spectest failures of 2009-03 with parrot-1.0.0.
> See http://code.google.com/p/cygwin-rurban/source/browse/#svn/trunk/release/parrot/CYGWIN-PATCHES/rakudo-2009-03-1-check.log.gz
> 
> I assume 2009-03 is targetting a newer parrot than 1.0.0,
> which is unfortunate for a quasi perl6-1.0 release.

The 2009-03 release targets parrot 1.0.0.  What you're probably
seeing is that the spectests (which are outside of the release
tarball) have changed since the release.  So, I guess we may want
to (a) include a copy of the current spectests at the time of the 
release in the tarball (and change the 'make spectest' target
to use those) or (b) change the Makefile in the release so that it 
always checks out the spectests that were in effect at the time 
of the release.  

Pm

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/