Subject: Re: [1.7]: /usr/bin/install fails on network drives
From: "A.R. Burgers" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 23:06:14 +0200
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

Corinna Vinschen schreef:

> I have no experience with DFS at all, and this would require to debug
> what happens in your environment.  If you're willing to test, I would
> give you a special handcrafted Cygwin DLL which prints more detailed
> strace output to analyze what happens.  I can't promise that this is a
> fixable situation, of course.

I would be willing to test.

Note that with cygwin 1.5,
install and mv have always worked fine on all my shares.
The sample script I sent shows no error messages when run from 1.5.
Also 1.5 shows the access bits with ls -l as -rw-r--r-- for
the DFS drive.

> Btw., can you run /usr/lib/csih/getVolInfo.exe from the csih package on
> your DFS drives (/ecn/groups and one of the others) and send the output
> to this list?

For the DFS share with the install failure:

$/usr/lib/csih/getVolInfo.exe //ecn/groups/g_zon_software
Device Type        : 6
Characteristics    : 10
Volume Name        : <g_zon_software$>
Serial Number      : 5393449
Max Filenamelength : 255
Filesystemname     : <NTFS>
Flags              : 4000f
   FILE_CASE_SENSITIVE_SEARCH  : TRUE
   FILE_CASE_PRESERVED_NAMES   : TRUE
   FILE_UNICODE_ON_DISK        : TRUE
   FILE_PERSISTENT_ACLS        : TRUE
   FILE_FILE_COMPRESSION       : FALSE
   FILE_VOLUME_QUOTAS          : FALSE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_SPARSE_FILES  : FALSE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_REPARSE_POINTS: FALSE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_REMOTE_STORAGE: FALSE
   FILE_VOLUME_IS_COMPRESSED   : FALSE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_OBJECT_IDS    : FALSE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_ENCRYPTION    : FALSE
   FILE_NAMED_STREAMS          : TRUE
   FILE_READ_ONLY_VOLUME       : FALSE
   FILE_SEQUENTIAL_WRITE_ONCE  : FALSE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_TRANSACTIONS  : FALSE

For a share with mv failure only

$ /usr/lib/csih/getVolInfo.exe //ecnits/ecnshare
Device Type        : 7
Characteristics    : 10
Volume Name        : <ecnshare>
Serial Number      : 192095779
Max Filenamelength : 255
Filesystemname     : <NTFS>
Flags              : 2b
   FILE_CASE_SENSITIVE_SEARCH  : TRUE
   FILE_CASE_PRESERVED_NAMES   : TRUE
   FILE_UNICODE_ON_DISK        : FALSE
   FILE_PERSISTENT_ACLS        : TRUE
   FILE_FILE_COMPRESSION       : FALSE
   FILE_VOLUME_QUOTAS          : TRUE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_SPARSE_FILES  : FALSE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_REPARSE_POINTS: FALSE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_REMOTE_STORAGE: FALSE
   FILE_VOLUME_IS_COMPRESSED   : FALSE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_OBJECT_IDS    : FALSE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_ENCRYPTION    : FALSE
   FILE_NAMED_STREAMS          : FALSE
   FILE_READ_ONLY_VOLUME       : FALSE
   FILE_SEQUENTIAL_WRITE_ONCE  : FALSE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_TRANSACTIONS  : FALSE

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/