Subject: Re: Your setting Return-Path to YOU in your cygwin@cygwin postings
From: "Mark J. Reed" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: Dave Korn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 12:18:05 -0500
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Paul McFerrin wrote:
> I thank you both for enlightning me on this subject.
>
> I'm using the Thunderbird email client.  I have observed that it is wrongly
> using the "Return-Path" and not the "Reply-To" even in the email composing
> phase before the ISP gets involved.  I'll watch that more or seekout a RFC
> compliant email client.

Thunderbird is one of the more obsessively-RFC-compliant mail user
agents out there, and I would be quite surprised if this were the
case.  I see a bug reporting such behavior -
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=396273 - but that turned
out to be a side effect of the SMTP server, which was changing the
From: address to match the Reply-To.

This stuff is not hard to test:

$ sendmail -t <<EOF
From: [email-masked]
To: <my email address>
Return-Path: [email-masked]
Subject: Testing

Where does a reply go?
EOF

When the message arrived in Thunderbird, I hit "reply"; it correctly
addressed the reply to 'from.address', not 'return.path'.  So I don't
think your MUA is the problem.

-- 
Mark J. Reed <[email-masked]>

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/