Subject: enlarge MAXSYMLINKS
From: Denis Excoffier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Denis Excoffier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 20:30:46 +0100
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

Hello,

I use Cygwin 1.5.25-15 (with all packages installed), especially i'm  
currently creating symbolic links. My filesystem is NTFS, my symlinks  
are
created as "Windows shortcuts" (see winsymlinks in the CYGWIN  
environment variable, though i don't use the variable, but this is the  
default).

I've created 36 links: 0->1, 1->2 ... 8->9, 9->a, a->b, b->c, c->d, up  
to y->z and z->/etc/passwd (a plain file).

Now, `wc q` works as expected (i.e. counts the number of lines/words/ 
chars in /etc/passwd), but `wc p` produces "Too many levels of  
symbolic links".
Well it may be that MAXSYMLINKS is defined to be 10 in cygwin kernel.  
But, cygwin-1.5.25-15/newlib/libc/sys/rtems/sys/params.h
indicates "#define MAXSYMLINKS 32", a reasonable value.

Where does this value "10" come from? Is there any possibility to  
enlarge the value of 10 in order to reach e.g. 32 as expected?
The value 10 is definitely too low for me, a value 20 (like in  
Solaris) would be better.

Thank in advance for your help,

Denis Excoffier.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/