Subject: new x.org server - startx and xinit fail?
From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 13:20:58 +0000
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

I've just updated my Cygwin installation (1.5.25), and got the new  
x.org xserver.

startx has stopped working.
After xauth creates a new authority file, it throws up a dialog saying  
it's put help text
in /var/log/XWin.0.log

Perusing /var/log/XWin.0.log shows:

XWin was started with the following command line:

/usr/bin/X :0 -auth /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/ 
lwood/.serverauth.32660
[..]
unrecognized option: and

suggesting that missing quotes somewhere in startx borked the command.
Adding quotes in throughout startx (xinit command, whenever I saw $HOME)
didn't change this; whatever can't handle spaces is a little hidden.

xinit run alone dies because it can't find supported fonts.

How to get cygwin's x-window-in-Windows-window support running again and
get to an xterm?

thanks,

L.

<http://info.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/><[email-masked]>

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/