Subject: How do I shut down Cygwin cleanly?
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 7:24:38 -0500
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

I can find no recent discussion of how to cleanly shut down Cygwin - by
this I mean shutting down all Cygwin processes, but not the Windows
operating system (in my case XP). Not cleanly shutting down Cygwin
processes tends to invoke Windows error messages on starting up Cygwin (I 
use the X startup script startxwin.bat) and sometimes a failure to
generate an X-window from startxwin.bat (which then has to be called
again - generally successfully). "Shutting down" Cygwin by just closing
all Cygwin windows does not seem to be a satisfactory option - other
things are clearly going on in the background.

This problem was discussed briefly back in 2002 ("cyqwin shutdown script
(Re: 'shutdown', games)" and "My shutdown script - it works!") where
Chuck Messenger and Paul McFerrin presented their own scripts for solving 
this problem. I've tried Chuck Messenger's script, which works sometimes, 
but at others seems to fire up a process which takes over the CPU and
never terminates. Paul McFerrin's script seems to have been written to
cope with Win98. Bearing in mind that these solutions are now 7 years
old, that XP has come into common use since then and Vista will be in
common use soon, are their any more modern solutions to this problem, and 
ones that are reasonably widely accepted among the Cygwin community?

John Hunter,
Antarctic Climate & Ecosystems Cooperative Research Centre,
Private Bag 80, Hobart, Tas. 7001

Ph: 03 6226 7849
Fax: 03 6226 2440
Mob: 04 2709 8831
email: [email-masked]

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/