Subject: Re: Gambit Cygwin package
From: "Nathan Thern" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mikael More" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:02:11 -0500
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 8:24 PM, Mikael More <X@X> wrote:
> Hi!
> Thank you for porting Gambit into Cygwin!
http://www.liquid.spod.org/~nthern/cygwin/

> Although, on my machine, I didn't get it running, neither the package
> (compile-file complains it can't start external process) nor the Gambit
> sources (compile-file and shell-command fire cmd.exe instead of /bin/sh,
> even though i updated COMSPEC and SHELL environment variables).
> I just wanted to check with you if you know how to get it going.
> Thanks!
>
> Mikael

Interesting. All my testing so far consisted of calling "gsc -link
foo.scm" to create c files and then compiling them with "gcc ...".
Plain old "gsc foo.scm" does indeed exhibit the behavior you
described. Are you able to run "gsc -link foo.scm"? If so, then I
would say you at least "got it running".

Not sure where the problem lies. Since the cygwin system call API is
POSIX compliant, I'm going to guess that it's a configuration script
problem. That is, I'm guessing that somewhere configure assumes
something like "if we have windows.h then without exception make all
system calls through cmd.exe". I'm looking in the source but haven't
found it yet.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/