Subject: cygwin bash crashes on Win Serv 2008
From: [email-masked] (Freddy Jensen)
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:42:29 -0700
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

Apparently the cygwin bash crash on Win Serv 2008 is related to the
"Terminal Services" on Windows. It looks like the problem is not
there if the Terminal Services has not been installed/started.

I make that conclusion because I have a co-worker who has the exact
same configuration as me, the only difference being that he does
not have the terminal services installed and cygwin works fine on
his machine.

Furthermore, I found these postings that describe the same
problem (see attached below).

As you can see, all the postinstall scripts fail because they are
sh scripts and bash (sh) cannot run. This explains why many more
cygwin commands don't work in this scenario, for example grep,
man, ...etc.  Apparently some commands require some postinstall
scripts to finish the install and other commands do not require
any postinstall fixups. So only the commands that depend on a
successful run of the postinstall scripts will fail in this
scenario. For example 'ls' and 'mkdir' work ok, apparently
because they are simple enough that they don't depend on any
postinstall things.

Thanks

Freddy

========== Begin included message ==========

grep exit with STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION error:

When I try to make Portable Cygwin running from USB, I using batch
script to install cygwin automatically and call sh script to make cygwin
user account. Unfortunately after several test and tunning my script
exited with STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLANTION error and make system unstable.
When i try to run my script again unfortunately i can't reproduce this
error again for further investigation. I wonder if it's just temporary
error or some thing wrong with my script, also maybe some one can give
me suggestion to improve my script.

I run cygwin 1.5.25 in Windows XP 2002 SP2 with Intel Pentium MMX 250
MHz with 128 ram

Hello,

I've just installed Cygwin on two different Windows 2008 machines, one of t=
hem is running Terminal Services, and the other without.

The system without Terminal Services runs fine with Cygwin, with the same i=
nstall options.
The system with Terminal Services does not run, and produces the following =
errors:

C:\cygwin\bin>bash.exe --version
     14 [main] bash 1732 _cygtls::handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCE=
SS_VIOLATION
   1255 [main] bash 1732 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to bash.ex=
e.stackdump
 197760 [main] bash 1732 _cygtls::handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCE=
SS_VIOLATION
 200075 [main] bash 1732 _cygtls::handle_exceptions: Error while dumping st=
ate (probably corrupted stack)
C:\cygwin\bin>
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Problems installing Cygwin 1.5.25-15 onto base Windows Server2008 w/Termina=
l Services installed
Click to flag this post

by Brett Carey Oct 15, 2008; 01:51pm :: Rate this Message: - Use ratings to=
 moderate (?)

Reply | Reply to Author | Print | View Threaded | Show Only this Message
Background:
Attempting to use a Windows Server 2008 64-bit Terminal server as a "Jump-B=
ox" from one network (corporate very locked down and restricted software) t=
o another (lab servers and QA and development). I figure if I put the neces=
sary software on the 'Jump-Box' and grant users the ability to remote deskt=
op in, they will be able to use the software they need without the need for=
 2 separate machines (one for corporate, one for the lab servers). Since my=
 users will need to connect to Linux servers and Windows does not have a bu=
ilt in ssh or scp I needed a solution. I've used Cygwin in the past and by =
putting C:\cygwin\bin into the environmental path I was able to ssh and scp=
 right from the command (DOS) box. Simple, easy, cake.

Attempting to install Cygwin 1.5.25-15 (fresh download from ftp.gtlib.gatec=
h.edu, base install) on the 'Jump-Box' from RDP (Remote Desktop) as a user =
with full Administrators permissions appears to complete but looking at the=
 log it seems all the postinstall scripts failed (see attachments: FAILsetu=
p.log and FAILsetup.log.full). Attempting the install from the console as A=
dministrator generates the same results. As a result the functionality I'm =
looking for is not working. I've done extensive searches and find very litt=
le information on those errors, my problem or any solution.

Snippet from FAILsetup.log:
2008/10/15 15:14:40 running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -c /etc/postinstall/upd=
ate-info-dir.sh
2008/10/15 15:14:41 abnormal exit: exit code=3D35584
2008/10/15 15:14:41 running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -c /etc/postinstall/cor=
eutils.sh
2008/10/15 15:14:41 abnormal exit: exit code=3D35584
2008/10/15 15:14:41 running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -c /etc/postinstall/ter=
minfo.sh
2008/10/15 15:14:41 abnormal exit: exit code=3D35584

Snippet from FAILsetup.log.full:
2008/10/15 15:14:40 running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -c /etc/postinstall/upd=
ate-info-dir.sh
      5 [main] bash 5088 _cygtls::handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCE=
SS_VIOLATION
  22633 [main] bash 5088 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to bash.ex=
e.stackdump
2008/10/15 15:14:41 abnormal exit: exit code=3D35584
2008/10/15 15:14:41 running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -c /etc/postinstall/cor=
eutils.sh
      2 [main] bash 4572 _cygtls::handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCE=
SS_VIOLATION
    803 [main] bash 4572 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to bash.ex=
e.stackdump
2008/10/15 15:14:41 abnormal exit: exit code=3D35584
2008/10/15 15:14:41 running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -c /etc/postinstall/ter=
minfo.sh
      2 [main] bash 2896 _cygtls::handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCE=
SS_VIOLATION
    798 [main] bash 2896 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to bash.ex=
e.stackdump

========== End included message ==========

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/