Subject: RE: Problem to open big selfextracting Zip files from bash
From: "Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Dirk Napierala" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 17:58:29 -0400
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

Dirk Napierala wrote on Friday, September 19, 2008 9:59 AM:
>
> We discovered an issue trying to open big self extractingzip files.
> Trying to do so result in the following error:
> 
> ./*selfextracting_zipfile*.exe
> bash: ./*selfextracting_zipfile*.exe: Cannot allocate memory
> 
> This only happens to huge files (guess above 1.5GB size) Smaller once
> are working fine. 
> 
> This issue happens on the current version available for download
> 1.5.25-15 and also with the new 1.7.0 (base-files version
> 3.7-1)(thanks to Volker Zell providing us this one for testing)  
> 
> If we are using an older version instead (1.5.18 base-files version
> 3.6-1) this issue doesn't show up.
> We tried the same selfextracting zip file on each of the above
> mentioned versions on a Dell Optiplex GX280 with 2GB memory. 
> 
> After discussing this issue with Volker Zell he mentioned to send
> this incident to your mailing list. 
> Hopefully someone can assist us with that and provide a fix.

Have you tried the following?

$ unzip *selfextracting_zipfile*.exe

(I don't know if unzip can work with self-extracting archives, but
I seem to remember that old versions of pkunzip did.)

Get native windows zip and unzip and write wrappers?

<MAINTAINER ALERT>  :-)
I do not know whether this might be a solution, but Zip 3.0, was
released 7 July 2008.  Among other new features is "large-file
support (i.e., > 2GB)". <http://www.info-zip.org/Zip.html>
</MAINTAINER ALERT>

Of course, the problems may be related to unzip code, not zip code.
unzip 6.0, slated to have large-file support, is apparently still
in the works. <http://www.info-zip.org/UnZip.html>

Good luck,

- Barry
  - Disclaimers:
    - I'd guess that the above suggestions are worthless, but
      maybe they will, confounding all expectations, be helpful.
    - Statements made herein are not made on behalf of NIAID.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/