Subject: Strange permissions problems running bash scripts from ssh
From: "Andy Hall" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Khoi Dinh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 20:01:07 -0400
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

I have a very strange permission problem with running bash scripts on a
Wndows server (2000) from a remote Linux box.   Here's the scenario.

The Windows Server where the bash scripts are run has a remote file
system mounted as F:  The file system mounted is from a samba server.
When the drive is mapped in, the userid and password of a user with
write permission is used.

When I login to the server either locally (or via VNC) using a my cygwin
account and then change directory to a directory in the F: drive, I can
happily create files there. E.g. the command, echo test >zap, creates a
file named zap without a problem.  I can of course create files in any
directory in my cygwin account as well.  In short, everything works as
expected. 

If I ssh into the same cygwin account from a remote machine, and perform
the identical test, that is, changing directory to a directory in F:,
then run echo test >zap fails with permission denied. 

I am sure is some weird problem with NT permissions or the account under
which the sshd is run, but I have not been able to figure it out.  BTW,
sshd was started from my cygwin account, not Administrator.  Can that be
the problem?   Setting CYGWIN to nontsec or ntsec does not seem to make
a difference.  	

Another annoyance is that when the bash scripts are run locally, e.g. in
a cygwin window started on the server, everthing works fine.   Under
SSH, I get minor failures because I start getting DOS line endings in
surprising places.  E.g. commands like basename and the result in a \r.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/