Subject: Re: option of g++
From: Barry Kelly <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 09:12:35 +0100
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

Rodrigo Medina wrote:

> Hi,
> Can anybody tell me what the g++ option
> -DU_STATIC_IMPLEMENTATION DOES?

-D instructs the preprocessor (cpp, which is automatically invoked by
g++) to define a symbol; the appended text is the symbol that gets
defined.

The meaning of the symbol depends on the source code you are compiling.
Typically, preprocessor symbols are used to enable or disable features
or modes of a program or library at compilation time (i.e. the option
isn't configurable at run time).

You need to either look in the documentation for the source package you
are compiling, or failing that grep the source for
U_STATIC_IMPLEMENTATION and try to discover from the source what it is
doing. E.g.:

  grep -r U_STATIC_IMPLEMENTATION .

in the source base directory.

-- Barry

-- 
http://barrkel.blogspot.com/

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/