Subject: Re: Why is regedit referenced?
From: Barry Kelly <[email-masked]>
To: John Sellers <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 09:15:44 +0100
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

John Sellers wrote:

> When I run Cygwin on my WindowsXP machine,

What do you mean by Cygwin? A bash prompt?

> my firewall informs me of 
> regedit activity, searching, and text manipulation.  I have not located 
> the source of this activity.

Firewalls generally protect against network activity rather than
registry activity, so it's unclear exactly what you're talking about.
Remote registry is a service in Windows that can permit authenticated
users to access your machine's registry, but I suspect this is not what
your utility is talking about.

Process explorer[1] can tell you what application accessed the registry,
what keys it modified, and the call stack at the time of the
modification.

[1] http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

-- Barry

-- 
http://barrkel.blogspot.com/

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/