Subject: Re: Running 64bit processes from 32bit Cygwin
From: "Robert McKay" <[email-masked]>
To: Jay <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 12:26:48 +0100
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 8:49 AM, Jay <[email-masked]> wrote:
>  32bit processes can launch 64 bit processes, and vice versa.
>  You are not trapped in emulation.
>  Simply via the normal CreateProcess, or system(), or ShellExecute().
>  There's no need to ask Explorer to do it for you. Except...
>  There is wierdness though in that 32bit processes cannot usually
>  see the 64bit system directory. They can run 64bit .exes anywhere
>  else, but under native %windir%\system32 is wierd.
>  Vista adds something like %windir%\sysnative (search the web).

Aha! How devious...

>  IF this is your problem, you merely need to make a 64bit
>  executable "in between" that you run, that then runs the 64bit
>  PowerShell. It'd be a very small simple program.
>  I have to install PowerShell to check.

Yes, this is definitely my problem. I didn't try running any binaries
that weren't in the system32 directory as it never occured to me that
the system32 directory might be 'special'.

>  Or use the APIs that temporarily turn off mucking with paths.
>   Wow64DisableWow64FsRedirection

That looks interesting. For my immediate purposes, copying the 64bit
powershell to another directory seems to have sorted it out nicely.
Thank you so much!

Regards,

Rob.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/