Subject: Re: Windows CIFS share "ls: reading directory .: permission denied"
From: [email-masked] (Freddy Jensen)
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 11:53:39 -0700
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

After much experimentation, I had to give up on making
it work directly with the share on the server.

Instead I tried to run Samba on a SparcSolaris 9 machine
and then go through the Samba connection for all access
to the server. 

This method works, but it is slower than going directly
to the server.

I really wish someone on the cygwin development team
could spare a few cycles to look into this problem.

Perhaps it doesn't affect very many people, because
I haven't seen a whole lot of reports about this
problem.

Any further insight will be appreciated.

Thanks

Freddy

========== Begin included message ==========

>From: Freddy Jensen <[email-masked]>
>Date: Tue Aug 5 2008 12:54pm
>To:   "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
>Cc:   Freddy Jensen <[email-masked]>
>Subj: Windows CIFS share "ls: reading directory .: permission denied"

Around June 2008, there were some posting with the subject:

Windows CIFS share "ls: reading directory .: permission denied"

but I don't know if there was a resolution to the problem.

I am now running into the exact same problem, after I upgraded
to the latest cygwin version. The problem is that the "ls"
command isn't able to enumerate directories if they reside on
a CIFS share on a server. If I know the name of a file on the
remote share, then I can access it, but ls cannot enumerate
the directory. The shell, neither bsh nor csh, cannot do it
either because if I cd to the share and do 'echo *' then it
just prints *.

The cmd "dir" command can enumerate the remote directory.

This leads me to suspect that in a recent release of cygwin,
the ls command got broken, or some library that supports ls
got broken. This used to work fine before I upgraded.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

Help and advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

--
Freddy Jensen, Sr. Computer Scientist, Adobe Systems Incorporated
345 Park Avenue, San Jose, CA 95110-2704, USA, Ph: (408) 536-2869
Email: [email-masked], URL: http://www.adobe.com
--

========== End included message ==========

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/